David Lucas suggested a series of reminiscences by Jack Caldwell about the early days of ANU Demography and his career. We are grateful to Jack and his son Colin Caldwell for the first four contributions* and to Bruce Caldwell for the final contribution.
- How Jack Caldwell became a Demographer
- Travelling to Ghana - How Jack Caldwell came to work at the University of Ghana
- Jack Caldwell - Reflections on Ghana
- Nigerian Days (PDF 600KB)
- Memories of Africa 1973 (PDF 2MB)
*Colin has noted that, particularly for the later articles, these are Jack’s words, but not as one steady line of articulation. Rather they have been constructed over time, adding where necessary additional contextual material and picking up from material Jack has published before. Jack and Colin have gone through every line several times and supplemented material with further thoughts and clarifications that Jack had along the way. With Jack’s chronic condition, it was ever going to be the only way of getting a comprehensive and readable account.
Photo: A young Jack Caldwell. Courtesy of the Caldwell family.